Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bridesmaid Dresses: the Search for the Holy Grail

I have looked at what feels like thousands upon thousands of bridesmaid dresses, searching for something that looks great on different body types, won't break the bank, and (most importantly) comes in my elusive dark champagne/latte/taupe/acorn/whatever color. My idea for the bridesmaid dresses was to choose a designer, a fabric, and a color and let the girls choose their own styles. This way, everyone has input on what she wears, but everyone still matches. The problem with this idea has been that the only dresses that come in the color I'm looking for tend to be way more expensive than ideal and most of them aren't very flattering. And so the search continues with a combination of websites, magazines, and random visits to dress shops.

On a spur-of-the-moment bridal shop trip, a few of my BMs (That's wedding talk for "bridesmaids". Do you like the new wedding lingo I'm picking up? hahaha..) tried on about 10 dresses that I had looked at online and thought would have met all the criteria. I was mostly wrong. The dresses all came in the appropriate color; however, were way pricey and only 2 of them looked good on everyone. A couple of weeks later, I found some dresses online that I thought were way cute, over $100 less than the ones we tried on, and had the right fabric/color. The only problem was that they only have 3 stores in the country. My sister happened to be going to Boston (one of the three cities) that week and was able to get a last minute appointment to try on a bunch of dresses and take pictures. There were some seriously cute options, and they're all styles that are classic and won't be out of style by the time of the wedding.

I'm still conflicted about one thing, though. I prefer knee-length dresses. I think they're more fun, have a younger look, and just generally look cuter. However, everyone keeps telling me that because I'm planning for an evening wedding the dresses should be floor length. While they're still nice and all, I kinda feel like they're stuffier. Plus, given the color I'm looking at for the dresses, if they do actually want to reuse the dresses, the bridesmaids wouldn't have to pay the extra money to get them in floor length as well as to get them shortened after the wedding. In the end, I generally feel like the bridesmaids should choose the dress(es) because I want them to have input about what they will be wearing. But I always pictured knee-length dresses. Maybe I always pictured a daytime wedding and never realized it. Although, in late May there will still be daylight at 7 PM.

So can I have short dresses for an evening wedding that takes place during daylight? Seriously. I need help with this one. Pleeeeaassseeee comment/facebook/email/whatever me with your thoughts on this.

Thanks. :)

6 comments:

  1. My vote...do what you think will look best, not what others think you should do! I'm sure those girls will be able to pull it off and have fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go with short if that is what you like better! I don't know if I am going w/ short or long and my wedding will definitely be an evening wedding too. Oh and also, when I see "BM" I think "bowel movement"... just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Of course you do, Kelly!

    I think the most difficult part of it is convincing my mom that just bc I have short dresses people won't show up in blue jeans. The way she talks about it, the only options are "formal" or "casual". I'm aiming for "cocktail attire." The more I think about it, though, the more I realize how much I really want the knee-length dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana, you can definitely do a shorter dress. I did knee length for mine and it was in the evening (6:30) and it was in May. I think weddings are more personalized these days and are falling away from being so traditional. I say do what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to consider the time of year and where you will be having it. My wedding was in July at 7:00 and my girls not only had on knee-length dresses but wore dressy flip flops as well. My wedding was also outside, so it was a dressy-casual atmosphere. I would say feel free to have them in knee-length, but if the groomsmen are wearing tails or very formal tuxes OR if your dress and accessories are pretty formal then your girls need to be meeting that same feeling. I think it should be a cohesive thought or feeling or it will kind of look weird. Also, it is helpful to have a website through a place like www.theknot.com
    It is free and is SO helpful for you and your guess. It has a place where you can suggest attire for your guest. Many southern weddings are more on the Sunday dress side. Very few are formal or are strict to the evening-formal idea, BUT I don't think anyone would show up in jeans. Hope this helps! Congrats to you and Tim!

    Jessica Lucas Dennison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jessica! I definitely agree with you. Nothing about my wedding says "casual" so I'm not worried about how others will come dressed; I think it's just a weird thing my parents have with "you kids these days"... ha. There will be some sort of "Cocktail dress requested" statement along with the invitations, so there shouldn't be much confusion about it. My dress is formal enough to make it an evening affair, but I don't think it justifies a black-tie scenario; and the groom/groomsmen will be wearing standard-type tuxes. (Can you picture Tim in tails?? (: ) One of my BM's gave me the idea of dressing up the bridesmaid dresses with accessories in order to make them a little more formal, which I think is a great idea! So, I've been looking into that the past few days. And I love TheKnot.com! It's a wonderful resource for everything! Although, I kinda like marthastewartweddings.com better for the guest list stuff; this site also has a great seating arrangement tool in case I decide to do something like that. Finding ideas to keep that cohesive feeling throughout the entire event is definitely something that these websites are helping me with.

    ReplyDelete