Sunday, September 5, 2010

Making a Plan

Over the last few months I've been slowly putting together the ceremony program as things have been getting more solidified. I was having some trouble figuring out the layout for the program, but thanks to Lorin that's not a problem anymore! She let me use her program as a template from which to work. This has been such a help because I was having trouble deciding what should go where and getting all he names of the bridal party to fit in an organized manner. As I went through I was trying to figure out he details of the ceremony; the readings and music definitely took the most thought. 

I knew one reading that I want, but I wasn't sure how many we should have and what any of the others should be. I asked Tim's opinion, but he wasn't too concerned with it. So I went to the best source I know for nice, romantic, classic, poetry and such - my sister. She graduated in May with a BA in literature, concentrating in British literature, and is now (officially as of this weekend) working on her master's degree in teaching so she can be a high school English teacher. I put her to work on it and before too long she had given me a list of poems/book excerpts that she thought may work for us. It was definitely easier to get Tim's feedback his way. After a few days of searching and reading and discussing dozens of poems, bible readings, and other book excerpts we finally found one that we think fits us! The amount of time and effort that took to find that one reading also helped us decide that we ate okay with just the two readings. :)

Music has been another thing altogether. I've looked for and listened to tons of music, but I didn't have a great idea of what I wanted. That's the thing about doing something different. Every wedding in my family has been the same - a Catholic ceremony in a churn with a full mass service and organ hymns. We're having a non-denominational service outdoors and we can basically do whatever we want with the ceremony. As much time as it took to find 2 readings, finding enough music for the ceremony took even longer. And after a while, all the songs I was listening to started to sound the same. With the help of my future big little brother (and his roommates), I think we may have the ceremony music finally figured out! I'm excited to show the songs to my parents and see what they think! It's mainly traditional music and a couple less traditional songs. Thank goodness for YouTube, which allowed me to actually hear the music similarly to what it would sound like; this definitely helped me figure it out. As fun as this wad to watch, you can definitely NOT expect to see this at our wedding.:)

Working in the burn unit has been awesome. I think I really can see myself doing his in the future, which is a relief since it's what I thought I wanted to do. I think I'd like to spend some time in the outpatient wound clinic to see different types of wounds as well. I've spent some time on the general acute floors, and it really wasn't doing it for me. We just did the same thing basically with every patient. It's interesting to see the dynamic here and compare it to what we've been told to expect. On gen acute they don't do any wound care, hat's he nurses' job. There's also so many patients that it's impossible for everyone to get seen ad they should. The PT department is definitely understaffed. They have been interviewing lately, so hopefully his will get better soon. On the burn unit, there's only 1 full time PT and 1 prn OT, so he only patients that get seen by PT are the ones who need hydro therapy or physical rehab for mobility. It's definitely different from what I expected and leads you to prioritize who needs PT the most and who can handle his/her wound care on his/her own. I hope to learn more and be able to take on more complex cases with less input from my CI. I'm gettib there! I've already got my own case load of more simple cases and am doing evaluations of all patients independently. Of course, the patients vary from day to day depending on how quickly the patients heal. That's one cool thing about it- there's always something new to see and learn about!

Hope all the rest of my classmates are having as rewarding an experience as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment